[eBird Alert] San Luis Obispo County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Greater White-fronted Goose (1 report)
- Hammond's Flycatcher (2 reports)
- Gray Flycatcher (2 reports)
- Ruby-crowned Kinglet (5 reports)
- Hermit Thrush (1 report)

Greater White-fronted Goose (Anser albifrons) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 29, 2021 19:10 by Norman Pillsbury
- The Lakes, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.5143427,-120.6719139&ll=35.5143427,-120.6719139
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing. Flew after 2 Canada geese for a distance and returned. First time in 1.5 years that it’s been here that I’ve seen it fly."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 29, 2021 07:46 by Nick Belardes
- Pine Mountain Cemetery--Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4957362,-120.6570252&ll=35.4957362,-120.6570252
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Mostly gray small flycatcher with Double-white wingbars, small dark bill, little to no eyering; gray chest tapering into a vest around an olive belly and undertail. Long primary projections. Responded to playback call with double note song/call. I arrived to the location and saw Ann Stockert searching for the flycatcher. We proceded to area near cement caskets and searched trees where warbler and vireo activity was heightened. I played the Hammond’s song several times. We then split up and I headed a few dozen yards up a trail. I began playing the Hammond’s song again and heard a return double vocalization only a few times. A few minutes later spotted a flycatcher sitting in upper tree foliage (about 20 feet above). I called Ann over as the bird got more active. She snapped some photos around the time it ate a bug off a thick branch. I took a few terrible photos, including a very clear bird butt pic. See Ann’s photos for better photo ID (https://ebird.org/checklist/S86667987). She took at least one really nice photo of bird and its distinguishig field marks."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 29, 2021 06:12 by Ann Stockert
- Pine Mountain Cemetery--Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4957362,-120.6570252&ll=35.4957362,-120.6570252
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Nick B . Heard call and then located it up about 20 feet. Observed in same vicinity as previously reported. Small grayish flycatcher, little to no eye ring, slight peak to crown, yellowish wash to belly, small bill, two light wing bars. Photos"

Gray Flycatcher (Empidonax wrightii) (1)
- Reported Apr 29, 2021 09:50 by Jeff Miller
- Turri Road, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.3250835,-120.7948498&ll=35.3250835,-120.7948498
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Relatively large Empid, with gray head and back, rounded head shape, long tail, relatively long bill with yellow lower mandible, mostly pale underneath, large eye ring, two faint white wing bars. Flicked tail slowly downward. Weak contrast between wings and back, and weak contrast between throat and face. Photos."

Gray Flycatcher (Empidonax wrightii) (1)
- Reported Apr 29, 2021 09:50 by Norman Pillsbury
- Turri Road, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.3250835,-120.7948498&ll=35.3250835,-120.7948498
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Relatively large Empid, with gray head and back, rounded head shape, long tail, relatively long bill with yellow lower mandible, mostly pale underneath, large eye ring, two faint white wing bars. Flicked tail slowly downward. Weak contrast between wings and back, and weak contrast between throat and face. Photos."

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) (1)
- Reported Apr 29, 2021 06:40 by Pair of Wing-Nuts
- Centennial Park/Trail--Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.6227597,-120.6695153&ll=35.6227597,-120.6695153

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 29, 2021 08:00 by Kaaren Perry
- Del Mar Park--Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.3987056,-120.8586752&ll=35.3987056,-120.8586752
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Moving about in willows near foot bridge. Small active birds, thin pointy bill, black bar below lower wing bar."

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 29, 2021 07:46 by Nick Belardes
- Pine Mountain Cemetery--Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4957362,-120.6570252&ll=35.4957362,-120.6570252
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Sharp, thin bill. Small, flitting, greenish with pale eyering and horizontal posture. Wasn’t vocalizing. Will post a photo."

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 29, 2021 06:12 by Ann Stockert
- Pine Mountain Cemetery--Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4957362,-120.6570252&ll=35.4957362,-120.6570252
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Flitting constantly... Plain olive with small bill, uneven eyering and whitish wing bars."

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 29, 2021 09:05 by Rick Saval
- Pismo SB--Oceano Campground, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.1085767,-120.6265268&ll=35.1085767,-120.6265268
- Comments: "Chattering call. Hover feeding over leaves. Photos no good."

Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) (1)
- Reported Apr 29, 2021 06:54 by Jeff Miller
- West Cuesta Ridge, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.3657353,-120.661226&ll=35.3657353,-120.661226
- Comments: "Dark black spotting on throat and breast"