Re: Western Tanagers

Bonnie Thompson

Coincidentally, we had one male (definitely) or two (probably; I didn't get a good look at the second bird) Western tanagers visit our yard this morning. First one in about ten years, since the large pine tree across the street was cut down.

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 4:04 PM Lynne Breakstone <breakstonelynne@...> wrote:
Today in the bottlebrush trees in Meadow Park (grove in middle of park), Western Tanagers. FOS for us.
Lynne & Jerry Breakstone

On Apr 25, 2021, at 1:57 PM, Kaaren Perry <surfbird1@...> wrote:

And here in our yard in Morro Bay…my claim to fame at this time is an increased number of male Hooded Orioles (4) who enjoy jousting in the trees and wires nearby. A single female and a 1st winter male have been in the area for a few weeks. No other spring migrants have been observed to date other that a few male Rufous Hummers that appeared a week or so ago and then promptly disappeared.   Wintering sparrows down to 3 Golden-crowns, one White-crown and a Lincoln Sparrow.

From reports it definitely sounds like most of the migration is happening inland at this time. I'm still waiting and watching…any time now, right?

Kaaren Perry

On Apr 25, 2021, at 11:26 AM, Rick Derevan <rickderevan@...> wrote:

I had a beautiful male Western Tanager in my yard yesterday, a rarity as a yard bird for me. Picture forthcoming on my Flickr page.

Rick Derevan
Atascadero

On Apr 25, 2021, at 10:55 AM, Cheryl Lish <cdlsueno@...> wrote:

10:20 am 2 male Black-headed Grosbeaks at a seed feeder in the backyard. One looked like it was possibly not in full breeding plumage but definitely not a female

Same time - a White- throated Sparrow was in the backyard - feeder area.

Had ~15 Pine Siskins yesterday
Haven’t attempted to count this morning but looks like the same.

Male No Flicker has been vocalizing since the 22nd. Haven’t heard anyone respond

Second Ash-throated Flycatcher showed up the 21st. Lots of excited vocalization between the 2. Couldn’t tell if it was friendly or territorial.

Down to~6 While-crowned Sparrows
Cheryl Lish Arroyo Grande