[eBird Alert] San Luis Obispo County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Pacific Golden-Plover (1 report)
- California Condor (1 report)
- Broad-winged Hawk (1 report)
- Red-tailed Hawk (calurus/alascensis) (1 report)
- Merlin (Prairie) (2 reports)
- Streak-backed Oriole (1 report)
- Summer Tanager (1 report)

Pacific Golden-Plover (Pluvialis fulva) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Mar 28, 2021 07:44 by Tom Edell
- Point Sierra Nevada Beach, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.717177,-121.3134003&ll=35.717177,-121.3134003
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Foggy this morning. Continuing adult that has been present all winter was in the grassland south of the trail and near the dunes (photo)"

California Condor (Gymnogyps californianus) (2)
- Reported Mar 28, 2021 10:50 by Sarah Newton-Scott
- San Simeon Creek Road, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.6089036,-121.0775634&ll=35.6089036,-121.0775634
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Flying very distantly over rocky peaks and then towards the ocean. I saw them as soon as I got out of the car, in binoculars noticed white underwing coverts compared to Turkey Vulture’s dark coverts and pale flight feathers. Took a few photos and the set up scope, but the birds disappeared before I could view them. I believe the distant, blurry photos confirm condor based on the underwing coverts, pale head and pale feet, let alone overall shape. Since the underwing coverts weren’t a bright white, I think these are possibly immature birds? Too distant to see or photograph any tags."

Broad-winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus) (1)
- Reported Mar 28, 2021 11:12 by Lisa Sheffield Guy
- Carrizo Plain National Monument, Santa Margarita US-CA 35.01582, -119.54793, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.015823,-119.547932&ll=35.015823,-119.547932
- Comments: "Small buteo with heavily barred tail, dark trailing edge on wings, absence of dark plumage on leading edge of wings. Fast flapping flight before gliding. Missing several primary feathers on right wing."

Red-tailed Hawk (calurus/alascensis) (Buteo jamaicensis calurus/alascensis) (3)
- Reported Mar 26, 2021 16:51 by Brian Sullivan
- 2627 Golden Eagle Way, San Miguel US-CA 35.72157, -120.56389, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.721572,-120.563891&ll=35.721572,-120.563891
- Comments: "Expected subspecies"

Merlin (Prairie) (Falco columbarius richardsonii) (1)
- Reported Mar 28, 2021 07:04 by Pair of Wing-Nuts
- Bitterwater Rd-Cholame Creek Bridge, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.7098621,-120.3051853&ll=35.7098621,-120.3051853
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Light brown colored head, pale cheeks and breast streaking - bird appeared almost white from a distance."

Merlin (Prairie) (Falco columbarius richardsonii) (1)
- Reported Mar 28, 2021 07:04 by Norman Pillsbury
- Bitterwater Rd-Cholame Creek Bridge, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.7098621,-120.3051853&ll=35.7098621,-120.3051853
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Light brown colored head, pale cheeks and breast streaking - bird appeared almost white from a distance."

Streak-backed Oriole (Icterus pustulatus) (1)
- Reported Mar 28, 2021 07:32 by Jeff Miller
- Islay Creek Campground--Montana de Oro SP, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.2736118,-120.8838502&ll=35.2736118,-120.8838502
- Comments: "Continuing! Heard oriole chatter, the male popped out. Bright orange head and breast, black on throat into eye, two white wing bars, streaking on orange back."

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra) (1)
- Reported Mar 28, 2021 16:00 by Jeri Edwards
- Lopez Drive, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.1501149,-120.5379839&ll=35.1501149,-120.5379839
- Media: 2 Photos, 1 Audio
- Comments: "Reported first sighting at this location 3/27/21. He returned to the site at about the same time as yesterday to drink the sap from the eucalyptus tree."