Port San Luis, Pismo Beach, and Oceano County Park, 2/23

Tom Edell

The adult male Harlequin Duck continues in the Port San Luis area.  This morning it was loafing on a low rock straight out from the state for the Diablo Canyon access road. Two female type White-winged Scoters were off the west side of the Cal Poly Pier. Maybe most interesting was a flock of 11 Snow Geese and one Greater White-fronted Goose sitting on the ocean off the end of the Port San Luis Pier. I could not locate a Black Scoter.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S82244536

I next checked the ocean from up coast of the Pismo Beach Pier where a female type Long-tailed Duck was foraging in the surf. The bird was slightly up coast of the volley ball courts. This is probably the same bird last seen down coast of the pier at the Grand Ave Beach access on 21 Dec.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S82244533

Of mild interest at the Oceano County Park lagoon were 12 first winter Glaucous-winged Gulls working the all they could eat bread provided by a couple.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S82244528

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA

--