[eBird Alert] San Luis Obispo County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Costa's Hummingbird (7 reports)
- California Condor (1 report)
- Red-naped Sapsucker (1 report)
- Eastern Phoebe (1 report)
- White-crowned x Golden-crowned Sparrow (hybrid) (2 reports)
- Summer Tanager (1 report)

Costa's Hummingbird (Calypte costae) (1)
- Reported Feb 15, 2021 10:47 by Jay Carroll
- 11400 Eliano St, Atascadero US-CA (35.4552,-120.6282), San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.455193,-120.628197&ll=35.455193,-120.628197
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing adult male with long purple gorget; perched in bare tree at 11405 Eliano."

Costa's Hummingbird (Calypte costae) (1)
- Reported Feb 15, 2021 13:07 by Mike Bush
- 11415 Eliano Street, Atascadero, California, US (35.455, -120.628), San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4549786,-120.6281526&ll=35.4549786,-120.6281526
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Seen on nest."

Costa's Hummingbird (Calypte costae) (2)
- Reported Feb 15, 2021 09:13 by Kai Mills
- 11425 Eliano St, Atascadero US-CA 35.45533, -120.62806, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.455326,-120.628058&ll=35.455326,-120.628058
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing hummingbird. Kai Mills heard its rising/falling thin szeee-eeeeew song as soon as we parked adjacent to the park. I soon heard vocalizations as well. We then spotted what might have been a male Costa’s, though lost sight of that bird without pics. We then located a female in a tree across the street. She had a downcurved bill, long wings extending beyond her tail, and bits of purple on her throat. She flew into neighborhood bushes, foraged, then flew into a bush and landed on a small, greyish nest that appeared to be woven from bits of silk and other organic materials, including tiny sections of leaves and plant material. She sat on the nest for a few minutes before foraging again and returning. She vocalized often making dry, bubbly tink-tink-tink sounds. When the Hampl brothers arrived we pointed them to the nest, and later also directed Mike Bush to the nest via a phone call. While still in the area a second Costa’s (female or juvenile male) was spotted vocalizing while the female was in her nest."

Costa's Hummingbird (Calypte costae) (2)
- Reported Feb 15, 2021 09:13 by Nick Belardes
- 11425 Eliano St, Atascadero US-CA 35.45533, -120.62806, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.455326,-120.628058&ll=35.455326,-120.628058
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing hummingbird. Kai Mills heard its rising/falling thin szeee-eeeeew song as soon as we parked adjacent to the park. I soon heard vocalizations as well. We then spotted what might have been a male Costa’s, though lost sight of that bird without pics. We then located a female in a tree across the street. She had a downcurved bill, long wings extending beyond her tail, and bits of purple on her throat. She flew into neighborhood bushes, foraged, then flew into a bush and landed on a small, greyish nest that appeared to be woven from bits of silk and other organic materials, including tiny bits of lichen, according to an examination of photos by Mike Bush. The bird sat on the nest for a few minutes before foraging again and returning. She vocalized often making dry, bubbly tink-tink-tink sounds. When the Hampl brothers arrived we pointed them to the nest, and later also directed Mike Bush to the nest via a phone call. While still in the area a second Costa’s (female or juvenile male) was spotted vocalizing while the female was in her nest."

Costa's Hummingbird (Calypte costae) (2)
- Reported Feb 15, 2021 09:35 by Kilian Hampl
- Eliano st, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4552752,-120.6283027&ll=35.4552752,-120.6283027
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing female on nest plus one female/immature male. Pointed out to us by Kai Mills and Nick Belardes. Photos."

Costa's Hummingbird (Calypte costae) (2)
- Reported Feb 15, 2021 09:35 by Liam Hampl
- Eliano st, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4552752,-120.6283027&ll=35.4552752,-120.6283027
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing female on nest plus one female/immature male. Pointed out to us by Kai Mills and Nick Belardes. Photos."

Costa's Hummingbird (Calypte costae) (1)
- Reported Feb 12, 2021 16:30 by Norman Pillsbury
- Hill Park, Eliano St., Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4552305,-120.6282397&ll=35.4552305,-120.6282397
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing."

California Condor (Gymnogyps californianus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 15, 2021 10:12 by Jim Royer
- Eastern Phoebe stake out, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.6089036,-121.0775634&ll=35.6089036,-121.0775634
- Comments: "Juvenile with dark head. Flying with TVs, but much bigger and different shape. Also perched and we could see a wing tag but not could read the number"

Red-naped Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus nuchalis) (1)
- Reported Feb 15, 2021 08:18 by Grace Romero
- San Luis Obispo Creek Lagoon, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.1817709,-120.7364416&ll=35.1817709,-120.7364416
- Comments: "Resting against large main branch of largest pepper tree just above maintenance building. Laddered back, red on crown and on nape of neck."

Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) (1)
- Reported Feb 15, 2021 10:12 by Jim Royer
- Eastern Phoebe stake out, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.6089036,-121.0775634&ll=35.6089036,-121.0775634
- Comments: "Continuing bird sitting on barb wire fence next to green field with new growth of rows of thistles, and then into sycamores across the road next to creek. It was past Red Mountain Road sign. The bird was in the stretch just before the big new concrete bridge."

White-crowned x Golden-crowned Sparrow (hybrid) (Zonotrichia leucophrys x atricapilla) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 15, 2021 11:07 by Kilian Hampl
- Cerro Alto Campground, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4272109,-120.7491446&ll=35.4272109,-120.7491446
- Media: 11 Photos
- Comments: "Photo. In with Golden-crowned and White-crowned Sparrows, and Juncos. Bewteen the bathrooms and the camp host house in the back loop."

White-crowned x Golden-crowned Sparrow (hybrid) (Zonotrichia leucophrys x atricapilla) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 15, 2021 11:07 by Liam Hampl
- Cerro Alto Campground, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.4272109,-120.7491446&ll=35.4272109,-120.7491446
- Media: 11 Photos
- Comments: "Photo. In with Golden-crowned and White-crowned Sparrows, and Juncos. Bewteen the bathrooms and the camp host house in the back loop."

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 14, 2021 10:00 by Gail Laporte
- Laurel Avenue, Morro Bay, CA, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.39227,-120.85241&ll=35.39227,-120.85241
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "This was in the afternoon at about 3:45p; an adult male Summer Tanager, bright red, short pale beak, perched in a neighboring tree; his feathers were fluffed a bit, and he appeared to be resting."