south county birding

Thomas Slater

At Oso Flaco today I was fortunate enough to see a pair of Hooded Mergansers, both male and female. They were extremely shy and I had to wait long periods for them to reappear from the edges. But I did manage to get my exposure correct on the second pass and got a photo of them together. A pretty couple.

There was also an American Bittern with its neck fully extended trying his best to be a reed. I obliged and didn't ogle at him for too long. There was a Northern Harrier about and he didn't need me taking any of his attention away from his skywatch.

On my street, the Red-naped Sapsucker hybrid was tapping away.

Bird on,

Tom Slater
Nipomo Bird Sanctuary
(just kidding)