M & F Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers and M Yellow-shafted Flicker...

Greg Smith

This afternoon I had  both a male and female adult Yellow-bellied Sapsucker interacting in my front yard. The female might be the same individual that showed up early this spring in juvenile plumage.

Yesterday morning I had a fine looking male Yellow-shafted Flicker perch briefly on the dead agave stalk in my back yard...

Greg Smith
Los Osos

On Friday, November 20, 2020 Kevin Zimmer via groups.io <kjzimmerphd@...> wrote:

While everyone else was enjoying Jim Royer’s Field Sparrow, I was working my way through Shandon, Bitterwater Valley and out to Carrizo Plains (including Soda Lake and Elkhorn Road).

The city park in Shandon produced a male Red-naped Sapsucker, along with 2 Red-breasted Sapsuckers and a female Phainopepla.

Bitterwater Valley Road produced fewer raptors than any previous November visit that I could remember (23 American Kestrels, 6 Red-tailed Hawks and 1 Praire Falcon + 11 Loggerhead Shrikes, but ZERO Golden Eagles, Ferruginous Hawks, Rough-legged Hawks, Northern Harriers or Accipiters), but did offer up 3 Vesper Sparrows amid the hordes of Savannah, White-crowned and Lark sparrows, as well as 9 Mountain Bluebirds.

Seven Mile Road produced some nice Bell’s Sparrows as I was en route to Elkhorn Road.  I made my way out Elkhorn to Panorama Road specifically to look for Mountain Plover.  In the process, I saw 2 more Prairie Falcons and a Ferruginous Hawk.  I did find a group of 15 Mountain Plovers about 1 mile past the big blue shed on Panorama Road.  The rain showers that brushed Atascadero a couple of days ago appear not to have reached Carrizo Plains, because all of the gravel roads that I drove (including Elkhorn and Panorama) were bone dry and 100% passable.  For anyone looking for the plovers, they could be anywhere along the lower portion of Panorama Road (the turnoff is about 13 miles out Elkhorn Road from where it leaves Seven Mile Road) where there is little or no vegetative ground cover.  In past years, I have often seen them fairly close to the large blue shed on the left side of Panorama Road.  Shortly beyond the blue shed, the road bends sharply to the left (south).  At that point, stay to the right, on a dirt track that heads toward some old feed storage silos, and keep going for another 0.5 mile past the twin silos on the left.  The large barren flats on the left, 0.8 mile from the road split, is where I had the plover flock today.

Total counts for the day of 5 Ferruginous Hawks, 5 Prairie Falcons and ca. 40 Mountain Bluebirds.