Scaly-breasted Munia and adult Bald Eagle in Atascadero

Kevin Zimmer

This morning (Wednesday, November 4), I was stunned to see and photograph a juvenile/immature Scaly-breasted Munia at our feeders in north Atascadero.  The Munia was in with a group of Lesser Goldfinches and Pine Siskins.  Although Munias seem to be pretty well established in south SLO County, this is the first time I’ve seen one north of Cuesta Grade away from the coast.

Thirty minutes later, we had an adult Bald Eagle fly over our house, headed east.  The trajectory would be one that I would expect from a bird coming from Whale Rock Reservoir.  This is only the 2nd time we’ve seen a Bald Eagle from our property, despite living here since 1988.

One additional note:  On Monday (11/2) I photographed my first Red-breasted Sapsucker of the fall in our yard, which is not particularly unusual.  What was unusual, was to have 3 Red-breasted Sapsuckers in my binoculars at once (all within 3 feet of one another) at the north end of our property a scant hour later!  I can’t honestly remember seeing 3 sapsuckers of any species together away from an active nest.  Sapsuckers are usually pretty solitary outside of the breeding season, and tend to be very territorial about protecting their sap wells.  These 3 sapsuckers were being repeatedly harassed by a couple of Acorn Woodpeckers.