Oceano Lagoon, 10/18

Rubba Johanna

Short visit to Oceano Lagoon campground rendered a Common Moorhen/Gallinule, in its usual spot across from the cypress just beyond campsite 17. Finally got it after 4-5 visits. A coot harassed it, causing it to lurk out of sight behind low branches on the far side of the water.

Also seen: Townsend's Warbler; Ruby-crowned Kinglet (first of season for me), Golden-crowned Sparrow, Chestnut-backed Chickadees, and Several Red-breasted Nuthatches (heard rather than seen). I saw what looked like a Chipping Sparrow near the collection of "plants used by the Chumash"--just a quick look, but it had the chestnut crown, thin, dark stripe through eye, clear breast. But it was a very brief look, and I didn't get a look at its back or wings.

Johanna Rubba
Grover Beach