juvenile Sabine's Gull at Atascadero Wastewater Plant

Kevin Zimmer

The juvenile Sabine’s Gull, first reported by "The Pair of Wing Nuts" at 0730 this morning, was still present and seemingly content at the 2nd basin from the south end of the Atascadero Wastewater Plant ponds from 1400–1445h this afternoon.  A very nice bird for an inland locality like Atascadero!

Not much else going on there, although staring into the afternoon sun from the back side of the ponds made it hard to see anything on the far side, even with a scope.  A few Wood Ducks, lots of Northern Shoverlers, Mallards, Canada Geese, Ruddy Ducks, and a few Eared Grebes and Cinnamon Teal.

Had my first Hermit Thrush of the fall drinking at our pond this morning, and the first Ruby-crowned Kinglet of the fall at the pond yesterday.  Other migrants trickling through the yard in the past few days include Warbling Vireo, Lincoln’s Sparrow, Western Tanager, and Yellow, Yellow-rumped, Orange-crowned, Wilson’s, Townsend’s and Black-throated Gray warblers.  Golden-crowned and White-crowned sparrows arrived several days ago, and are settling in for the winter.