the Common Ringed Plover

Kevin Zimmer

In my haste to get the word out about the Common Ringed Plover, I see that I forgot one additional important field mark that distinguishes an alternate (breeding) plumage male Common Ringed from the corresponding plumage of male Semipalmated Plover, and that is the presence or absence of a contrastingly colored orbital ring. Common Ringed shows either no orbital ring, or, at best, a dark gray orbital ring which provides no contrast with the dark eye and black mask. Semipalmated Plover in breeding condition, typically shows a contrasting orange orbital ring, which shows well with close views or in decent photos.