[eBird Alert] San Luis Obispo County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Horned Grebe (2 reports)
- Hermit Thrush (1 report)
- Black-and-white Warbler (4 reports)
- American Redstart (1 report)
- Chestnut-sided Warbler (1 report)

Horned Grebe (Podiceps auritus) (1)
- Reported Sep 28, 2020 15:09 by Andrew Naegeli
- Oso Flaco Lake (not for beach/ocean), San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.0302072,-120.6207848&ll=35.0302072,-120.6207848
- Comments: "Low confidence in ID. Lighter underneath, suggesting not an Eared Grebe."

Horned Grebe (Podiceps auritus) (1)
- Reported Sep 27, 2020 18:00 by Tom Slater
- Oso Flaco Lake (not for beach/ocean), San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.0302072,-120.6207848&ll=35.0302072,-120.6207848
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Possible horned grebe: My observation: Flat crown, thin neck, dark on backside of neck, white on front, long narrow head with easy sloping forehead, not steep. Red eye. Was a little larger than a nearby Eared Grebe (whose head shape was more compact and pointed). Bill was light colored, even in fog. Dark gray back. Most notable characteristic was it's thin, elongated head shape and gradual forehead making the head look extremely long looking. Nothing was peaky or triangular."

Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) (2)
- Reported Sep 26, 2020 16:09 by Jay Carroll
- East Hazard Canyon--Montana de Oro SP, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.2928247,-120.8558382&ll=35.2928247,-120.8558382
- Comments: "Grayish-brown upperparts contrasting with rufous tail; both birds seen and heard in riparian thicket.; “churt ” and “vree” calls."

Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) (1)
- Reported Sep 28, 2020 08:18 by Rudy Lucero
- Meadow Park, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.2675798,-120.6606531&ll=35.2675798,-120.6606531
- Comments: "Continuing bird first seen by Nick Belardes. Black and white striped warbler with white throat and grayish cheeks."

Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) (1)
- Reported Sep 28, 2020 07:44 by Nick Belardes
- Meadow Park, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.2675798,-120.6606531&ll=35.2675798,-120.6606531
- Comments: "Continuing bird first spotted the morning of Sept. 27, and again the same evening. Found creeping in bottlebrush trees near mid-park bridge around 7:30 a.m. Followed for about five minutes. Spotted same bird again when it flew over me into a deciduous tree along fence line close to CASA DIABLO feeder area. Bird crept up branches then darted to another tree. Spotted bird a third time while looking at warbler flock near fruit-bearing tree at northeast end of condos with Rudy Lucerno. We tracked the bird for five minutes or so as it crept up tree trunks and thick branches, flying to 2-3 different trees. It eventually flew into a sycamore tree next to paved path, again creeping up and down trunks and branches. While observing bird, a bicyclist on cell phone yelled “Watch it!” to Rudy. Afterwards we lost the bird. Details: black and white, medium-sized warbler with black-and-white lines down back and on crown, white throat, spotted undertail coverts. See Rudy’s checklist for ID images."

Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 27, 2020 17:40 by Kai Mills
- Meadow Park, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.2675798,-120.6606531&ll=35.2675798,-120.6606531
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird first spotted by Nick Belardes earlier this morning. Ran into Nick and searched for it together. He showed me where he saw it earlier (bottlebrush tree furthest west of the bottlebrush row). While it was seen associating with a flock of Bushtit earlier this morning, only bird in the area was a Townsend's Warbler. Seen for about 10-15 minutes creeping along branches."

Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 27, 2020 17:40 by Nick Belardes
- Meadow Park, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.2675798,-120.6606531&ll=35.2675798,-120.6606531
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird first spotted by Nick Belardes earlier this morning. Ran into Nick and searched for it together. He showed me where he saw it earlier (bottlebrush trees just east of bridge in center of park). While it was seen associating with a flock of Bushtit earlier this morning, only bird in the area was a Townsend's Warbler. Seen for about 10-15 minutes creeping along branches."

American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 28, 2020 09:57 by Rick Saval
- Pismo SB--Oceano Campground, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.1085767,-120.6265268&ll=35.1085767,-120.6265268
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Male. One photo."

Chestnut-sided Warbler (Setophaga pensylvanica) (1)
- Reported Sep 28, 2020 12:16 by Roger Zachary
- Santa Rosa Creek Trail--Fiscalini Ranch Preserve, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.565858,-121.1005139&ll=35.565858,-121.1005139
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Constantly moving and searching for food; surprise...first bird sighted in the flock; reported Sept. 27 by Will Knowton; eyeing white, gray underparts, green back"