White-crowned Sparrow

mike stiles

Like Kaaren Perry, I like to note WCSP arrival dates. My first-of-season White-crowned showed yesterday, an orangish-billed adult Gambel's subspecies. I've been noting arrival dates since 2007. The earliest in the yard was Sep 11th, 2016. The White-crowns always show before the Golden-crowns, except for 2010 when I saw them together.

Of course, those dates are when I saw them. They easily could have come and gone previously, unseen.

I refer often to "Sparrows of the United States and Canada", by David Beadle and James Rising. The second edition "Photographic Guide". Nice descriptions of the subspecies, with photos.

Mike Stiles
Los Osos