Fiscalini Sounds

Tom Graves

I’ve been taking weekend walks thru the woods at Fiscalini Ranch, hearing this and that, wondering what’s making the sounds. One sound was a screech, another a series of peeps. The screech was deep in the woods, unseen, the peeps high up in the pines, too far away to ID (or was I too lazy?)
I finally saw the screech bird: https://www.xeno-canto.org/590430 .

The peep, I think I’ve nailed down as a Pygmy Nuthatch, listed as a mystery, to get confirmation, on XenoCanto: https://www.xeno-canto.org/590431 . It sounds like something I’ver heard before, and should know, such a simple sound, but I’ve never seen one locally, and have never recorded one.

Bird like no one’s watching,

Tom Graves