Re: Common Tern S Maria River

Jeff Miller

I have to retract the presumed Common Tern at Santa Maria River mouth. After further study of my photos and some good feedback from eBird reviewers in both counties, it is a juvenile Least Tern, which can also have a carpal bar. This tern had yellow rather than dull orange legs, and its size compared to the Black Tern is right for Least, too small to be Common.

That said, Santa Maria River mouth would be an excellent place for Common Tern to show up about now. On the beach by the lagoon we had 5 species of terns – Least, Black, Elegant, Royal, and Caspian.

Jeff Miller

Los Osos