Gull

Bob Chapman

Yesterday I came upon a gull that was a head scratcher. Superficially aligned with California Gull but not quite right; larger, lighter mantle (approaching Herring Gull), bill larger with the gondyle angle more severe. After input from several folks I believe it to be L c. albertaensis, the Northern Great Plains subspecies. I don't have any experience with this race so let me know if you do.

The first Black-vented Shearwater showed up yesterday in South Oso Flaco and today I have seen several more.

Elegant Terns are MIA at OD this summer but today there are a couple dozen present.

Bob Chapman
Oceano Dunes