Sweet Springs Preserve Breeding Bird surveys 2020. Wrap up.

Kaaren Perry

For the seventh consecutive breeding season our team of trained MCAS volunteers have completed the annual MCAS Sweet Springs Preserve Breeding Bird surveys. Our teams monitor the abundance and breeding status of the birds present in two-week intervals from early March through June 2020. As you will read in the summary, the main objective of the study is to provide a long-term standardized record of the numbers and types of birds that use the coastal preserve for nesting and rearing.

I encourage you to take a little time to join us as we learn more about our resident and migrant spring breeders by viewing the annual report.  Even if you only occasionally or are just planning a visit to Sweet Springs, I do think you might find this report of interest.  The summary and some fun photos can be found at found on the Morro Coast Audubon web pg at: https://www.morrocoastaudubon.org/2020/07/sweet-springs-breeding-bird-survey.html. Once there then click on annual report.

Sincere thanks to those dedicated survey participants who contributed their time and talents to another successful breeding bird survey season: Joanne Aasen, Bart Beckman, Karen Beckman, Jay Carroll, Wendy McKeown, Judy Neuhauser, Kaaren Perry, Max Taylor.

Very special recognition to Jay Carroll who compiles the survey data collected at each survey, puts together all the relative comparisons from past years and presents it to us in a comprehensive, understandable and enjoyable summary document.   This project definitely takes a village!

8th Sweet Springs breeding survey season will begin in early March 2021.

Kaaren Perry : Project Manager

Jay Carroll : Data Compiler