Intergrade Flicker, Cerro Alto Campground, 5/27

Tom Edell

I walked the road to the campground this morning. Lots of singing birds, though fewer than my last visit. The most interesting bird I saw was an intergrade Red-shafted x Yellow-shafted Flicker. I used to think that all intergrades were only here in winter and that they arrived from the contact zones between these two forms. A male present at the campground this morning is the first county record for an intergrade in May (breeding season). It’s worth taking a close look at the head, face and throat color, the color of the mustache, and for red nape markings (sometimes faint) on all Red-shafted Flickers regardless of the time of year.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S69728425

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA

--