Blue Grosbeaks back along Cottontail Creek Road

Kevin Zimmer

Sorry to be late with this post, but I visited Whale Rock Reservoir last Tuesday (May 5), and both Blue Grosbeaks and Lazuli Buntings were back in force along Cottontail Creek Road. I had 5 different territorial male Lazuli Buntings along the road (no females seen), and saw 4 male Blue Grosbeaks and 2 female Blue Grosbeaks. Both the buntings and the grosbeaks were very vocal through 1030h.

Other species seen were pretty much expected (Ash-throated Flycatchers, Rufous-crowned Sparrows, Yellow Warblers, etc), with the exception of a male Northern Harrier, which seemed a little late. I did not hear any Yellow-breasted Chats in the riparian corridors below the road.