Quail family on our property

Chris Van Beveren

We have male/female and about 9 babies approx 1 week old, visible from our upstairs window. Very entertaining. Male often sits on top of a fence watching that all are safe. Today a crow appeared, mom hastily got them all to shelter under a huge lupine. The crow appeared mildly interested, and suddenly we saw the male parent make a threatening run right up to the crow. It was like it was saying, "you will have to get through me to reach them." The female also exhibits very protective moves, yesterday getting between a straying chick and a European Starling minding its own business. It is hard to get anything done around here with the show going on below us.

Chris Van Beveren
Beck Travel
565 Baywood Way

Los Osos CA 93402