Red-necked Phalaropes - spring migration

Kaaren Perry

Many of us enjoyed counting the numbers of oceangoing Red-necked Phalaropes as they gathered in many locations throughout the county during fall migration. While not colorful in winter, the large numbers present made it a memorable experience as we basically wondered if there would be even more the next time we stopped by.

In spring migration, while usually in relatively small groups, the colorful breeding plumaged females are always a treat to see.  What a difference! If you haven’t had a chance to catch them on their way north to their Arctic and sub arctic breeding grounds you might want to go out and give it a try.  I have seen them on ponds and near shore in the last few days. Today 3 females continue to be seen in the first two ponds on Turri Road, Los Osos