Ah! Spring in Morro Bay

Rosalie Valvo

On my way home from my walk, I stopped to watch a California Towhee battling with itself.  It would perch on top of the passenger side mirror of a car parked in its driveway, flap its wings, and then fly forward.  It repeated this behavior for some time.  I was reminded of my first encounter with such a towhee (called Brown Towhee at the time, I think) a few decades ago that did fierce battle with its reflection in the neighbor’s car’s hubcap.

I’ve been seeing Mockingibrds stand in the middle of the street and laboriously stretch their wings.  I assume they’re trying to attact someone’s attention.  And they’re singing at all hours of the day and night.

Rosalie