West Cuesta Ridge

Kevin Zimmer

Susan and I hiked a few miles of the Antenna Road on West Cuesta Ridge yesterday (4/29) morning, between 0730h–1100h.  No indication of big movements of migrant passerines (such as those encountered by Will Knowlton a couple of days earlier).  I did have a group of 3 Red-breasted Nuthatches (seems late?) and 1 Hermit Warbler respond to playback of Northern Pygmy-Owl vocalizations.

Also saw all 3 species of goldfinches and had great looks at a pair of Mountain Quail (and heard 2-3 others).  We did not hear any Black-chinned Sparrows, but most of our time was spent in the cypress zone, and vocalization had died down considerably by the time we got into the really prime chaparral.