Cerro Alto migrants

Jay Carroll

Birded this morning along the Boy Scout Trail, which goes up and along the main ridge south of Cerro Alto campground. The northeast winds were moderately annoying, but there was a spotty flow of migrants moving upwind in a northwesterly direction. They were mostly flying just above the tops of the chaparral, and very few actually landed. Of the ones I could positively identify, there were several male Lazuli Buntings, a few Western Kingbirds, some Ash-throated Flycatchers, an Olive-sided Flycatcher, and singles of Nashville, Black-throated Gray, and Yellow-rumped Warblers. A few swallows came through too, but no raptors.

The stars of the show though were the hummers. In about 45 minutes from one trail location I counted over 80 of them zipping by up the canyon, too fast for bins, and most unidentifiable to species. However, I was able to pick out a few male Rufous, a dozen or so Rufous/Allen's, and a single male Anna's. Because of the late date I would think that the majority were probably Rufous on their way north. Later in the hike near the summit, in a period of about 15 minutes I counted 25 R/A individuals visit a lone flowering Indian Paintbrush, each staying only a few seconds, and then moving on.

Jay Carroll
Los Osos