phalarope, Morro Strand; Yellow-crowned Night-heron, Embarcadero

marlin harms

This morning I walked part of Morro Strand. High points were a Red-necked Phalarope in Alva Paul Creek, 13 Royal Terns, 1 Dunlin with black belly and 5 Black Turnstones (near North Point rocks) on the beach.

A friend photographed a subadult Yellow-crowned Night-heron near the South T-pier on 4 April. Photo shows developed head pattern but still immature body plumage.  This is probably the same bird seen during the bird festival and only a few other times since then.

FYI, this morning I was going to drive to Morro Creek along Atascadero Rd. (Highway 41), but it is blocked off just past the high school.  I walked instead. Some of the Cinnamon Teals remain, but no unusual birds.

Marlin Harms
Morro Bay, CA