Re: Rufous Hummingbirds along the coast

Victoria Morrow

Absolutely!  I have three rufous/Allen’s consistently in my yard in Avila Beach and saw one today on the Bob Jones Trail for the first time in the nine years I have been loving here.  What a treat they all are!

Vicki

On Apr 2, 2020, at 6:06 PM, Kaaren Perry <surfbird1@...> wrote:

I am wondering if others are seeing a noticeable increase of male Rufous Hummers in the past few days along the coast.

Today I would estimate 8-10 males seen at any one time as they circled my feeders and the nearby Pride of Madera bushes.   4 male Allen’s and 5-7 selasphorus females.  There easily could have been more, especially Rufous as they zoomed about, often in hot pursuit of each other. Admittedly these numbers are my attempt at estimating at a single given time.

I know that birders who live inland often report good numbers of selasphorus hummers but I don’t usually see this many at one time in our yard in Morro Bay.  Maybe my being home all day has something to do with it?

Kaaren Perry
Morro Bay