Lesser Yellowlegs

Jim Royer

The closed section of State Park Road, just off South Bay Blvd., is birdy. At midday today, I had 3 Greater Yellowlegs and one Lesser Yellowlegs flying around the slough next to the road, for a nice comparison of size, bills and calls. Closer to South Bay Blvd., 2 just-arrived Black-headed Grosbeaks we’re singing, along with Wilson’s Warbler, Pac.-slope Flycatchers, and Rufous Hummingbirds (feeding on twin berry flowers).  It’s really nice with no traffic. The Snow Goose continues on the nearby bay, seen from South Bay Blvd.

Jim Royer
Los Osos