Tricolored Blackbird

Kaaren Perry

While driving along Cottontail Creek Rd. in Cayucos this morning I was surprised to see a male Tricolored Blackbird feeding with a small group of “black” birds.  2 Starlings, 1 male Brewer’s and 2 unidentified females were in the group. The females showed a supercillium, which would separate them from the Brewer’s. I was not able to identify either female as Tricolored or the more expected Red-wing before the group flew off. They were seen in the field about 1 /1/2 miles up the road near a group of bee boxes.

While Tricolored Blackbirds are not considered rare in the county,  it was my first time seeing one on that road. 2 photos for identification purposes -  https://ebird.org/checklist/S66445282