FOS Hooded Oriole, Bullock's Oriole and Pacific-slope Flycatcher in Atascadero & window-strike "Yellow-shafted Flicker"

Kevin Zimmer

Our FOS Hooded Oriole showed at our feeders on March 2, which seems early by at least a couple of weeks. There has been 1 male present on our property since then. A male Bullock’s Oriole appeared at Bill Rucci’s feeders on March 7 and was still there on March 8, but has not been since as far as I’m aware.

This morning (March 12), I heard 2 different Pacific-slope Flycatchers in the neighborhood, one of which was from our property.

Yesterday (March 11), Bill Rucci delivered a specimen of a phenotypically classic (no signs of it being an intergrade) male “Yellow-shafted” Flicker which had died when it struck one of his windows. Over the years, we have had a number of obvious intergrade Northern Flickers on our property, but I can’t recall having seen an apparently pure “Yellow-shafted”-type flicker in the neighborhood before. I will deposit this specimen with the LA County Museum of Natural History, as I do with all such salvaged bird specimens.

In other news: We’ve had multiple Rufous Hummingbirds/Selasphorus sp? attending our feeders near daily since Feb 26 (when first reported by my wife), and certainly since March 4 (when I returned from Tanzania) through today.

As an aside, at least 2 of the 3 White-throated Sparrows that wintered in our yard are still present, and one of them has been singing from the riparian belt along Graves Creek.