Geese and Snipe!

Kaaren Perry

This afternoon, following a tip  from my friend Vicky Johnsen that there were a few interesting geese nearby, I headed to the “little pond/puddle’ on Foothill Rd just before the intersection of Los Osos Valley Rd in San Luis Obispo.

Sure enough! Along with 16 Canada Geese there were two adult Ross’s Geese and one immature Snow Goose grazing in the field.  While they are plentiful in other parts of the state it is always a treat to find them in SLO County. (photos up on flickr)

In a near by puddle there were 5 (!) Wilson’s Snipe.  Talk about a treat!

Seen at 5:30.  Nice way to enjoy the sunset hour.