Glaucous Gull, Arroyo Laguna, 23 Feb

Tom Edell

This morning I checked Arroyo Laguna. The gull flock held a single first-winter Glaucous Gull that was not the mostly white individual being seen at the Point Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery. With it was a bird I’m tentatively calling a Herring x Glaucous Gull hybrid, possibly the same bird Petra and Jack Clayton photographed at the Pt. Piedras Blancas rookery yesterday. The rest of the flock included 47 Herring Gulls (my personal high count this winter), two Thayer’s Gulls (adult and first-winter), nine Glaucous-winged Gulls, and California and Western Gulls. A single Brant continued on the beach and a lone Common Goldeneye was in the lagoon.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S64924148

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA

--