A few birds from 1/21-22

Tom Edell

This morning there was a Black-legged Kittiwake in a large gull flock at the mouth of Morro Creek. Given the many seen on the two Morro Bay Winter Bird Festival boat trips its likely more will be found on shore this winter.

I could not find the Tennessee Warbler at Meadow Park this morning, but did find one of the Chipping Sparrows on the southern side of the park by the house with feeders and nest boxes. The Tennessee Warbler was seen and photographed in that location yesterday morning by Curtis Marantz and we both had a Chipping Sparrow by the ball field yesterday. This Tennessee Warbler that was first reported by Nick Belardes on 9 Jan is likely the same bird found here by Herb Elliott on 28 Feb 2019 back for its second winter.

Yesterday, Curtis and I saw the continuing Tropical Kingbird at Laguna Lake in its usual location, the leafless tree across from the boat launch area. It is probably the same bird that’s been here for the past 7 winters.

The male Yellow Warbler continued in the trees between Vista Del Collados and  Vista Del Largo, which is on the Laguna Lake side of the Laguna Middle School.

A Ferruginous Hawk was on the ground along the north end of O’Connor Road (Cuesta College side of the summit) around 1130 this morning.

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA

--

Tom Edell