Carrizo Plain Birds

Will Knowlton

I made a quick scouting trip out to the Carrizo Plain today in preparation for my upcoming winter bird festival trip next Sunday. Highlights included a pair of Long-eared Owls, many Vesper Sparrows, and a small flock of Mountain Plover along Soda Lake Road about three miles north of KCL campground. This is a species that has been very difficult to find the past three years, so it was nice to locate this flock. Another highlight was the continuing Rough-legged Hawk that was originally found during the Carrizo CBC. Today the Rough-legged was found along Soda Lake Road just past the overlook hill for Soda Lake. Pictures of it can be found here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S63337371

Will Knowlton
San Luis Obispo, CA