FOS White-throated Sparrow in Atascadero

Kevin Zimmer

Well, that didn’t take long!  After mentioning in my post last night that I still hadn’t seen a White-throated Sparrow in our yard this fall, I got up this morning and spotted an adult tan-striped morph in the backyard at around 10:00 a.m.  We typically have anywhere from 1-5 White-throated Sparrows wintering in our yard each year, hanging out with the much more common Golden-crowned and White-crowned sparrows. Of the three wintering Zonotrichia species in the yard, the White-throated is typically the last to arrive in fall, and the last to depart in spring (usually lasting until the beginning of May).  Unlike the other two species, I don’t often hear the White-throated Sparrows singing much on their winter territories, but that changes in March-April, when they typically become pretty vocal.