A few updates and Breeding plumaged Good-light birds of April

David L. Keeling

Hi all,

On Wednesday, April 24, the two PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVERS remained just inland from the beach at Point Sierra Nevada.   The more dramatic of the two seemed to be in full breeding plumage.   On my way back down the coast I was totally lucky to see an adult GOLDEN EAGLE perched near the side of the road, still north of the elephant seal viewing spot.   It calmly sat allowing me to admire and photograph it for 20 minutes.

On Friday, April 26, there was a very young AMERICAN AVOCET chick at Carrizo NM.   I grabbed a few fast photos and exited, stage right.   There was also a lovely GREAT HORNED OWL nest with two youngsters who will soon fledge.   No Scott.

I'm posting a host of April photos (30 images, 24 species) with lots of breeding plumage (Ruddy Turnstone, Surfbird, Dunlin, Greater Yellowlegs, Red-necked Phalarope, Common Loon, Pied-billed Grebe, Ruddy Duck).   Also, I've had more good-light opportunites than normal (Black Oystercatcher, Double-crested Cormorant, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Warbling Vireo, Lawrence's Goldfinch, Black-headed Grosbeak) and a few good birds that do not often pose for me (Northern Flicker, Yellow-billed Magpie, MacGillivray's Warbler)

Enjoy, maybe in two doses.

Dave Keeling

Morro Bay