Sweet Springs - Bald Eagle

Kaaren Perry

This morning during our second 2019 MCAS seasonal breeding bird surveys we were delighted to see an adult Bald Eagle perched in a eucalyptus near the west overlook.  A surprise and the first I remember seeing during our surveys for the past 6 years at this location. (photo)

As far as the surveys, all areas were carefully covered by our three teams and lots of pairing up, singing and displaying was observed.  Tree Swallows were circling their favorite hollow trees, Song Sparrows, Dark-eyed Juncos, White-crowns, Common Yellowthroats, Oak Titmice, Bullocks Orioles and more heard singing.  2 male Nuttall’s Woodpeckers were observed squaring off, chattering and flashing their red crowns at each other with 2 females nearby.  A California endemic subspecies of Savannah Sparrow was seen and photographed in the tidal marsh. (photo)

Many other species were also heard tuning up, establishing their territories and in general creating an active stage for us to have many chances to record spring breeding behaviors. This series of surveys will continue to be conducted every two weeks during the season until ending on July 21.

Great time of year to visit MCAS Sweet Springs Preserve. Get there a little early (maybe 7:30!?), walk slowly, look and listen!.