[eBird Alert] San Luis Obispo County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Vermilion Flycatcher (2 reports)
- Tropical Kingbird (2 reports)

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1)
- Reported Dec 26, 2018 09:31 by Rick Saval
- Laguna Lake Park, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.2656069,-120.6903817&ll=35.2656069,-120.6903817
- Comments: "Continues peninsula loop trail and fence line "

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1)
- Reported Dec 25, 2018 12:10 by Petra Clayton
- Laguna Lake Park, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.2656069,-120.6903817&ll=35.2656069,-120.6903817
- Comments: "Continuing since 7/14/18 (First report by Jim Royer)"

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Dec 25, 2018 08:11 by Emma Rosen
- Morro Bay SP--Marina/Boardwalk Trail, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=35.3445235,-120.8418006&ll=35.3445235,-120.8418006
- Comments: "I spotted a kingbird in the eucalyptus trees on the far west side of the parking lot. My first thought was that's an odd place for a Cassin's Kingbird. Closer looks revealed that it clearly was not a Cassin's Kingbird. The bill was too long and thick, the back was too green, and there was too much yellow on the breast, extending all the way up to the throat. The probably even more unlikely possibility of Western Kingbird can be eliminated for the same reasons. The bird was silent, so the extremely unlikely Couch's is hard to eliminate, but all the signs of a Tropical were there; the extremely long flat looking beak, the shallow forehead, and a distinctly forked tail. The less reliable but still mildly suggestive features of a strongly dark face mask and a brighter green back were also present on this bird. Even not considering that Tropical is far more likely, I think that the features of the bird show that it is a Tropical and not a Couch's. Photos forthcoming. Seen well for 4-5 minutes in perfect lighting, within 50 feet."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Dec 25, 2018 08:11 by Nick Rosen