Black-throated Blue Warbler (Laguna Lake)

petra schaaf

Laguna Lake was particularly good to us today.
We entered four rarities on our ebird checklist (with photos):
  • The previously reported Vermilion Flycatcher
  • The previously reported Clay-colored Sparrow
  • A Tropical Kingbird
  • A Black-throated Blue Warbler
    (Black face, throat, and flanks; Black (not blue, though) head and back; Whitish breast and lower underparts; Large white wing-patch)

The Black-throated Blue Warbler was foraging in trees around the west side of the short paved loop trail past the last boat ramp, first in a eucalyptus tree closer to the lake, then in a snag by the entrance to the overgrown trail, that leads west onto some sort of peninsula.

Jack and Petra Clayton,
Los Osos