Vermillion Flycatcher

William Bouton

Between 11:00 and noon this morning, the Vermillion Flycatcher at Laguna Lake park was in view most of the time. This in spite of frisbees actually flying into some of its favorite perch trees. Be aware if you go for the flycatcher, that part of the frisbee golf course goes directly through the area so far preferred by the bird. If you are unaware of the players they’ll eventually politely call out to you to move to safety. Passers-by (and some of the frisbee players) showed great interest in what the birders, with their impressive optics, were looking at. Some very much enjoyed hearing about the bird and looking at it through our binoculars. (A great opportunity for public outreach is available.)

While I was there the bird was perched high in a group of 3 or 4 cypresses that are the right side of the road as you go north, just before it splits into the turnaround loop.

A photo can be viewed at:

www.flickr.com/photos/billbouton/

Bill