Pacific Golden-Plover, Pt. Sierra Nevada

marlin harms

After having missed this bird earlier I tried again today.  Kaaren Perry and Maggie Smith were already looking when I got there and we walked the entire beach without seeing the bird.  While I continued south, they walked back over the same beach and found the bird, but by the time I got there they had lost it.  Together we could not re-find it, but after they left I did find it, in about the middle of the beach.  After I had watched it a while, something startled the shorebirds and the golden-plover flew into the dunes. Its alternate plumage is coming in nicely.  I posted a couple distant photos at  https://www.flickr.com/photos/marlinharms/

Marlin Harms
Morro Bay