Black-chinned and Calliope hummingbirds in Atascadero

Kevin Zimmer

My FOS Black-chinned Hummingbird (male) showed at the feeders yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. Also present were 1 male and 1 female Calliope, the first of which showed on April 2, just as we were leaving town for nearly a week. Rufous Hummingbird numbers have been building, with at least 20 birds present at our feeders as of yesterday, and definitely outnumbering Anna’s.

In other news: at least 2 of the 4 White-throated Sparrows that wintered in our yard are still around, as are the other Zonotrichia (Golden-crowneds are all coming into nice alternate plumage), and we still have 30+ Pine Siskins hanging around.

Kevin Zimmer
north Atascadero