Virginia's Warbler still present at MDO

Kevin Zimmer

I spent the afternoon birding with some visiting birders from the UK.  We checked out Oceano Campground, which was very quiet – 1 Western Wood-Pewee and a few Townsend’s Warblers were about it.  After that, we headed to Montana de Oro and Islay Creek Campground.  We found the Virginia’s Warbler, initially with a flock that was working a tall pine near campsite #18.  The flock then moved to a cypress briefly, before crossing the road and dropping down into the willows along the creek.  After some searching, we relocated the warbler at 3:45 p.m. before losing it once more in the willows.  The flock was composed mostly of chickadees and bushtits, but there were also several Wilson’s, Orange-crowned and Yellow Warblers, at least 1 Townsend’s Warbler, 1 Warbling Vireo, a pair of Hutton’s Vireos, a pair of Bewick’s Wrens, 1 Pacific-slope Flycatcher, and 1 Red-breasted Nuthatch, which I was surprised to see follow the other birds out of the pine and into the willows.  I also glimpsed a Catharus thrush which, based on its rather uniformly warm brown upper parts, was probably a Swainson’s Thrush.