Cayucos Pier birds

marlin harms

This morning there were 6 immature Bonaparte's Gulls at Cayucos Creek mouth.  Off the end of the pier I estimated about 650 Aechmophorus (Western & Clark's) Grebes in one large flotilla and another 50 separated a bit to the north. I could identify a few Westerns both visually and by call, but mostly I didn't.   I always wonder what these birds are doing at this stage of the breeding season.  Further offshore was a small group of 11 Red-throated Loons, including 2-3 in mostly alternate plumage, the rest in basic plumage.

Marlin Harms
Morro Bay, CA