first Black-headed Grosbeak of the spring and other Atascadero sightings

Kevin Zimmer

I just arrived home on Tuesday night after nearly 4 weeks of guiding in Tanzania, and happy to see migrants already showing up in the yard. On Wednesday afternoon, we had a male Bullock’s Oriole and a female Hooded Oriole coming to hummingbird feeders in our yard. Male and female Hooded were seen together yesterday afternoon. This morning, I saw one of the 3 White-throated Sparrows that has been in our yard since November. And, just minutes ago (ca. 1015h), I photographed a male Black-headed Grosbeak in the yard – the FOS for us.

Spring is definitely here!