White-throated Sparrows in Atascadero

Kevin Zimmer

Yesterday (Oct 27) , I photographed the FOS White-throated Sparrow (a white-striped morph) among the Zonotrichia flock in our yard. This morning, once the rain cleared, I photographed a different White-throated Sparrow in the yard (this one a tan-striped, somewhat streaky-chested individual, probably a hatch-year bird).

Hermit Thrushes, Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Yellow-rumped (Audubon’s) Warblers have been visiting the fountain of our pond for the past couple of weeks, during which we were also getting a trickle of migrants including Nashville Warbler, Townsend’s Warbler and multiple Western Tanagers. None of those for the last week however. American Goldfinches just started joining the many Lessers at our feeders on Monday.