Common Goldeneye, Morro Rock

marlin harms

Rich Hansen called me early evening to let me know the Common Goldeneye seen recently by others was on a rock inside the bay.  It was preening on a rock at the bend of the bay away from Coleman Drive, just across from the restrooms in the Rock parking lot.  (Near where the otters congregate.)  It is a motley looking bird with very worn wings and tail and I assume a 2nd summer bird (just over one year old), partly because any self-respecting adult would have migrated, but also because it is so worn.

Marlin Harms
Morro Bay, CA