guillemot

marlin harms

This morning I checked a few coastal places, but my wandering was truncated at the newly re-opened Cayucos Pier.  From a distance at the edge of the ocean I saw an alcid I assumed was another murre.  Several people and dogs walked by the bird without it attempting to move away. As I got closer I realized it was a Pigeon Guillemot.  I went to pick it up and take to rehab.  It offered no resistance as I approached and picked it up, though it did struggle a bit as I put it into a bag.  I took it directly to Pacific Wildlife Care in Morro Bay.  Hopefully it mends.

This is a late guillemot.

Marlin Harms
Morro Bay, CA