Black-throated Green Warbler

marlin harms

Since I dipped on this warbler last week at Oceano Lagoon, I tried again this morning with Spencer Riffle.  We found the bird briefly where it has been seen before, on the east side of the north end of the lagoon relatively near the maintenance yard.  After we lost the bird we met Gary Guliasi and the three of us re-found the bird on the west side of the lagoon and then saw it off-and-on again repeatedly on the west side over the next 45 minutes or so.  Spencer and I got a last sighting back on the east side, low in the willows. While squatting and trying to get a photo I lost sight of the bird and asked Spencer if he saw where it went.  He said, "It's on the ground right in front of you." and it was only 3-4 ft. away.   A few minutes later, just as I had mentioned leaving, I spotted a Black-and-white warbler at the same location.  We got brief looks at it before we lost it--enough to tell it was a female or immature.

Photos of the Black-throated Green Warbler later: www.flickr.com/photos/marlinharms

Marlin Harms
Morro Bay, CA