shorebird survey

marlin harms

Randy Derhammer & I counted shorebirds this morning near Chorro Creek across from the Morro Bay State Park campground and because of the high tide there were many shorebirds for us.  High point for us, while not a rare bird, was a Wilson's Snipe feeding in the Salicornia marsh.  I was surprised to see it near the bay because of the bay being mostly saltwater.  I know it is considered brackish, but at this time of this year, after so little rain, it can be only barely brackish.  Anyway, despite poor notes and even poorer memory, I don't remember seeing a snipe at the edge of Morro Bay before. If it is more common there than I realize, I hope someone will educate me.

Marlin Harms
Morro Bay, CA