Acorn Woodpeckers, Sweet Springs

marlin harms

Just a note to add to the Acorn Woodpecker sightings near the coast.  I heard several at East Sweet Springs Nature Preserve in Los Osos this morning.  The two that I watched appeared to be foraging for insects on eucalyptus trees.

Earlier in the morning, a group of pelicans, cormorants and terns homing in on a school of fish came by the boardwalk platform and I noticed several Bonaparte's Gulls in the group.  That reminds me that I have seen Bonaparte's Gulls from there each of the past several days, with a high of 15 on Monday.  And yesterday I saw the Bald Eagle at a huge distance (near the sand spit) harassing/following either a tern or Bonaparte's Gull for nearly a minute.  That seemed interesting or curious to me and made me wonder what the tern or gull had done to provoke the eagle.  The eagle put in an appearance again this morning.

Marlin Harms
Morro Bay, CA